Robert D. Ray
|Robert D. Ray|
|Occupation||Chief Executive Officer|
The late Robert D. Ray was the chief executive officer of CME Europe, CME Group’s proposed European exchange. He was named to the position in 2013. He passed away on March 6, 2014 at the age of 60.
A Chicago native, he had moved to London and was working on the launch of the new exchange before his death.  As CME Europe's CEO, he had chief responsibility for directing the continued development and execution of CME Group's international business and sales strategy across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), Asia, and Latin America.
Ray previously managed CME Group's international operations since mid-2008, and he also led the company's commodities and equities product lines as managing director, Commodities, Equities & International.
Prior to his CME Group role, Ray served as senior vice president of business development for the Chicago Board of Trade. He joined the CBOT in October of 2002 as a vice president, responsible for the CBOT's equity complex, reporting to Marty Reiner. Ray later replaced Reiner as head of business development for the exchange shortly after Bernie Dan took over as CBOT CEO.
During Ray's tenure as head of business development at the CBOT, the exchange introduced electronic gold and silver futures and options, side by side trading in agricultural futures contracts and electronic mini sized grain futures. Also during Ray's tenure at the CBOT, the exchange attempted to offer a dollar-denominated index-linked credit derivatives contract.
Ray also worked in senior trading and derivatives business development roles with Robertson Stephens Inc., Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., Carr Futures and Continental Grain Company. He had also previously worked at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from 1984 to 1986 as director of financial marketing and product development.
Ray earned his bachelor's degree from Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa.
- CME Europe Management. CME Europe.
- Bob Ray, London-Based CME Executive From Chicago, Dies at 60. Bloomberg.
- Board of Directors. Swiss Futures & Options Association.
- CBOT Names Robert Ray As Vice President. Mondovision.
- Chicago Board of Trade Has 10% Share of Gold-Futures Market. Bloomberg.
- CBOT To Launch Mini-Sized Ag Contracts On Electronic Platform. Cattle Network.
- Grabbing the Golden Mouse by the Tail: Precious Metals Jump onto the Screen in Chicago. SFO Magazine.
- CBOT developing credit derivatives contract and expanding metals coverage. Risk.net.
- CBOT to cut jobs after Chicago Merc merger. Crain's Chicago Business.